These journals are about music, drugs and the Isle of Wight. They’re about the joy of escape, the catharsis of being lost in a vibration, the comfort of anonymity in a large crowd and the strange things you see when lots of intoxicated young people get together.
The diaries detailing our experiences at the Isle of Wight festival in 2012 were the first that I published here. I think there’s a lot of cool things in these stories, interesting characters and a genuine and complete exploration of what it was to be at this festival during this period of time. When the entries first went up, understandably, no one really cared because no one knew what this blog was and what I was all about. Now I’m a little more established, I wanted to collect them into one place, the same as I did for the Lake District and Highlands Roadtrip ’13.
So, here’s In the Swamp…
1. A tale of drugs, mud, piss and strange people at the Isle of Wight Festival 2012.
2. Arrival. Meeting the neighbours. The Stranglers. Primal Scream. First impressions.
3. Elbow. Australian piss fetishists. Depression. Escape from the festival. Recapture.
4. Gazebo CUNT! Ryan’s trip. Recovery Day. Pootopia. Lucy flees. Another weird piss story.
5. Eddie returns. Ryan takes speed. Pearl Jam. Campsite thefts. Neighbourhood declares the festival a washout and a failure. Exodus.
6. Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds. Christian Security Guy. Drying mud. Penalty shoot-out.
7. The wasteland after the party. Tale of a wellington boot. Going home. Ryan and Eddie’s review.